In the Face of Tragedy

I shared these thoughts with my MOPS friends in the newsletter"The Announcer". It sums up my feelings of the tragic shooting in Binghamton NY, near my hometown and all the other violence and unrest in the world today. The shooting really shook me up. My mom drove past the Civic Center less than 24 hours before the shooting. I walked around the area countless times throughout my life. The teacher killed was the wife of one of my former doctors (a ear/nose throat specialist). My thoughts and prayers are with the victims families, the surviors, the emergency personnel who responded and the whole community. What a shock!

Adventures in Mothering
Because He Lives
"How sweet to hold a newborn baby and feel the pride and joy he gives, but greater still this calm assurance this child can face uncertain days….Because He Lives" Bill and Gloria Gaither Copyright 1971.
As I sang that song on Sunday in church, those words brought tears to my eyes. I chose the song in honor of Easter, but the violent events of the past week made the song even more real to me.
The song "Because He Lives" was written by the Gaithers after their son, Benji, was born in 1970. Gloria recalls in an interview with Mark Lowry, how nervous she and Bill were about bringing another child into such a world of turmoil (at the end of the Civil Rights movement and the midst of the Vietnam War). I love this quote about her realization. "You don’t do what you do and get married and have kids, go on with your life because the world is stable. You do all that because Christ is real, and the resurrection is true and life wins!"
We still live in very uncertain days nearly 40 years later. That has come very apparent to me in the past few days. The tragic shooting in Binghamton on Friday was just 10 minutes from the home I grew up in and my parents still live. My brother reminded me he lived 2 houses up from the building years before.
This world is sure a scary place to bring children up, but I’m thankful for the reminder of the hope we can all have that Because Christ Lives we can face whatever comes in this world. That is what Easter is all about!
Happy Easter everyone!

Comments

DeeDee said…
Hey - found your blog from Lynnette...
I love that old song too. .. and yes, you are right- we can have hope in this world because HE LIVES!
Have a wonderful Easter Week
Blessings

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's Orchestra

Goodbye CBCA 4/21/26

Senior Citizen Day