Multigrain waffles on my new waffle maker...YUM!!!!
A new waffle iron was one of my Christmas presents from my son, Elijah. It's a neat little thing. It was a Thanksgiving night buy.
There's a Multigrain waffle at my Aldi store that I really love, so I decided to see if I could find a recipe to make my own. I found a yummy one. They turned out pretty well I thought. I used white wheat flour and white cornmeal for my version. For the buttermilk, I used 2% milk and a bit of melted margarine.
Here's the recipe copied from www.eatingwell.com/recipes/multi_grain_waffles.html
2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/4 reduced-fat milk, 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 fat
There's a Multigrain waffle at my Aldi store that I really love, so I decided to see if I could find a recipe to make my own. I found a yummy one. They turned out pretty well I thought. I used white wheat flour and white cornmeal for my version. For the buttermilk, I used 2% milk and a bit of melted margarine.
Here's the recipe copied from www.eatingwell.com/recipes/multi_grain_waffles.html

Multi-Grain Waffles
From EatingWell: Spring 2003, The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Traditional waffles are a butter-laden, high-carb indulgence, but they make the transition to good fats and smart carbs beautifully, yielding crisp, nutty-tasting waffles with all the sweet pleasure of the original. The batter can also be used for pancakes.
8 servings, 2 waffles each | Active Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
Ingredients
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 2/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ, or cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Preparation
- Mix buttermilk and oats in a medium bowl; let stand for 15 minutes.
- Whisk whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, wheat germ (or cornmeal), baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Stir eggs, sugar, oil and vanilla into the oat mixture. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients; mix with a rubber spatula just until moistened.
- Coat a waffle iron with cooking spray and preheat. Spoon in enough batter to cover three-fourths of the surface (about 2/3 cup for an 8-by-8-inch waffle iron). Cook until waffles are crisp and golden brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Repeat with remaining batter.
Nutrition
Per serving :188 Calories; 4 g Fat; 1 g Sat; 2 g Mono; 55 mg Cholesterol; 30 g Carbohydrates; 8 g Protein; 3 g Fiber; 328 mg Sodium; 227 mg Potassium2 Carbohydrate Serving
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/4 reduced-fat milk, 1/2 lean protein, 1/2 fat
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Wrap any leftovers individually in plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in a toaster or toaster oven.
Comments