Search Me O God!

Glen Payne and George Younce of the Cathredrals singing Search Me O God

God has been using recent church sermons to speak to my heart and convict me of some sin in my life.  My pastor's message this morning was based on Matthew 7:1-4  (Why see the speck in another's eye and not the plank in your own) and Psalm 51 (Cleanse every wicked way in me).  In light of this morning's communion service, my mind went to Psalm 139:23 (I thought it was in Psalm 51).  I like how the New International Version puts it  "Search me, God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts." taken from www.biblegateway.com
One of my sins is worry and anxiety, so this is a great reminder to me to let God have control of my whole entire life....my anxieties, my thoughts, my actions....everything!!!! 
Another great sermon, I heard while I was on vacation, was a reminder to let God dig deep into my life and remove all the sin and hurts that have built up through the years.  Just the idea of that hurt me.  We were instructed to lay down our whole life to God even if it hurts.  It has been painful, but I have tried to put this into practice the past few weeks.  I still have a long way to go. 
I'm reminded of that weed entry I wrote last year as my garden is is desparate need of attention.  I need to remove the weeds that grew up during the rainy week that we were gone!  I also need to weed out the unwanted sin and anxieties in my life.
Above, I have included a song clip based on the Psalm 139 passage I mentioned. It's "Search Me O God" by J. Edwin Orr. I had the pleasure of hearing Glen Payne and George Younce sing this song in person back when the Cathedral Quartet sang in my hometown in 1993.  It's a song we often sang in my home church frequently also. 
There's a song "Wonderful Grace of Jesus" by Haldor Lillenas that is a favorite of my current church.  Last week we sang it during our morning church service.  For the first time I really thought of the meaning of the chorus.

"Wonderful the matchless Grace of Jesus
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea
Wonderful Grace all sufficient for me
Broader than the scope of my transgressions
Greater far than all my sin and shame
O magnify the matchless name of Jesus
Praise His name!!!!!!"



God's grace is amazing! His love and forgiveness is awesome!  He can forgive the deepest sin.  He can heal the deepest hurt.  Thank you, Lord for your mercy and faithfulness!!!!

Comments

Tthe song you picked is one of my favorites. Also, like you the Bible verses and messages are also very conflicting. Thanks for sharing.f

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's Orchestra

Goodbye CBCA 4/21/26

Senior Citizen Day