Way Too Soon!!!
As a 48 year old woman, never did I expect to receive news not only once...but three times within a few months that a childhood friend died. All three friends were in their late forties....within a year or so of me.
Two of the three friends died of heart attacks. The latest friend was sick at least for a short while.
Beth died in December. She was part of what I call the Lunch Bunch. We and 4-5 others ate together all four years of high school. What fun we had! At her memorial service I was reunited with most of the group. We said we need to get together under better circumstances. I'm hoping we can before our official high school reunion in October.
Tonia who died very suddenly in February, lived the next street over from me. I hung out at her house a lot! We went to church together sometimes too. She was briefly part of the Lunch Bunch later in high school.
Carol Ann just died on March 30. She lived a few blocks from me. At one point my mom babysat her while her parents worked (her mom was a nurse. I can't recall what her dad did). Honestly our relationship was sort of rocky. Looking back we had stupid fights...like sisters I think. We had a talk years later and things were good between us. I last saw her about five years ago at the hospital she worked at while my mom and I were waiting for my dad to get out of a surgery. It was great to see her!
With all three friends, I heard how wonderful they were. All of their memorial services were well attended. It saddened me to realize how much special times I missed. Honestly it hit me the most with Carol Ann. We were the closest of the three friends I lost.
Moving an hour away from my hometown has had me miss a lot of my old friends. I've had the chance to make many new friends for which I'm very thankful. However, losing three friends who made my childhood and teenage years so special really hurts. I had wonderful childhood. There are many more friends who made it that way who are still living. I treasure their friendships more than ever.
Moving an hour away from my hometown has had me miss a lot of my old friends. I've had the chance to make many new friends for which I'm very thankful. However, losing three friends who made my childhood and teenage years so special really hurts. I had wonderful childhood. There are many more friends who made it that way who are still living. I treasure their friendships more than ever.
Losing three young friends so close together has made me think of my own mortality. I have many health issues that could take me quickly also. I am determined to do what I can to take better care of myself. I took the plunge and joined a gym last week. It's intimidating and discouraging to start out. I had a certain time goal on an exercise bike today, but it ended up being 10 minutes shorter. At one point I didn't think I could make even 10 minutes. I am going to persevere! I have a small goal I want to reach weight wise that I know if I keep exercising and adjusting my diet, I can reach in the not too far future.
I'll update soon!!
I'll update soon!!
Comments