Joy in Trials

 James 1:2 ESV

Consider it pure joy, my brothers whenever you face trials of many kinds because I know the testing of your faith developed perserverance.

I love how the English Standard Version words this verse. I have faced many kinds of trials through the years.  I also love how themes come up from time to time.  Joy has come up the past few days. My husband Tim referred to this theme of joy during his sermon last night. He was preaching from John 15:7-17.  Tim focused on verse 11.  I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.

Tim mentioned joy in trials. He used the example of the biggest trial we faced together in 1999.  Finding out at 5 months that our second child, Gabrielle Renee, had a fatal birth defect called anencephaly. He talked about our decision to carry Gabrielle despite my doctor encouraging us to induce labor early. "What is the use of carrying a child who is going to die?" He kept on asking.  We made it to Gabrielle's due date and had 14 1/2 hours with her.   It was the most traumatic thing in our lives, but the peace and joy of God got us through.  There is no other way we could have without God's strength and help.  

More recently we have gone through multiple trials, health crisis of our kids, my own health struggles, a huge church hurt and others. I have to say that I did not feel joy in most of those moments.  I know I had the joy down deep in my heart (we sang that chorus last night also), but I did not rest in it.  I'm so thankful Tim and others reminded me that despite how unhappy we feel, God gives us joy in the trials.  We can rely on him, cast our burdens on Him (I Peter 5:7).

So remember, Dear Friends, If you know Jesus as your Savior, you do have joy and peace that only God can give. Be still and know that God is with you through good and bad times. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's Orchestra

Goodbye CBCA 4/21/26

Senior Citizen Day