Goodbye CBCA 4/21/26

 This morning, the pastor of my home church, Central Baptist in Binghamton NY, announced that Central Baptist Christian Academy is closing at the end of this school year.  I started CBCA as a Kindergarten student in 1975. On Sunday, when I saw one of my classmates, who is a pastor in the Cleveland OH area, preaching on Facebook I realized that I have known him for just over fifty years.

I loved my nine years at CBCA.  I had amazing teachers and I made the most incredible friends. I loved being involved in music.  I had my first solo in first grade. "Jesus loves the little children the whole wide world around" I sang with laryngitis. I took piano and voice lessons starting in second grade. I sang in choirs.

My classmates and I had so much fun! We sang in Christmas and spring programs.  We went on many fun field trips. In first grade, we went to the florist shop my great Aunt Kay worked at.  In sixth grade I had an adoptive Grandma from Elizabeth Church Manor. We had class picnics at Cole Park in Colesville. I learned many Bible verses. My friends and I played jump rope on the playground.  From fifth to eighth grade, my friends and I sang loudly on our bus to and from the public elementary school.  Our bus driver, Charlie Kark, sang along at times.  His daughter Debbie was in my class. 

It made me so sad when in eighth grade my Dad lost his second job and could not afford to send us to CBCA any longer. 

My Dad worked two jobs almost all the time we were at CBCA and my Mom babysat.  I appreciate the sacrifices they made.  I feel that if I didn't have my Christian education, I would have not had the extra encouragement in my faith that I have held on to for dear life. A faith that has recently been tested to the max.  School, along with my Godly parents and my pastors at Central Baptist and churches I have attended here in Elmira, have given me the foundation God knew I needed.  I'll be eternally grateful for that.

"Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth."  Our school verse and theme song

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nature's Orchestra

Senior Citizen Day